Outdoor Activities & Recreation
For any recreational enthusiast Coeur d'Alene has a lot to offer. We are located close to the lake, we are in close proximity to immense forests, and we are near mountains that are perfect for any avid hiker or biker. Come experience the famous Hiawatha Bike Trail, the route of the Old Milwaukee, or the adventure of uncovering a Geocache. Enjoy the lake's many activities and attractions. The outdoors of Idaho are truly amazing, and Coeur d'Alene is among the most beautiful areas in the state.
Hiking and Biking in Coeur d'Alene Idaho
- Biking on the Hiawatha Trail  - is an experience you won't want to miss! This groomed biking trail follows what was once the great Milwaukee Railroad. The first 13 miles take you through 11 large train tunnels and across 9 sky-high tressels. Take exit 0 from Interstate 90 at Lookout Pass. Purchase tickets for the trail, rent bikes and helmets and ride off to adventure. Sandpoint Lakeshore Drive Round Lake Loop is yet another bike trail that consists of a 29-mile loop. The sloughs along the river provide excellent water fowl viewing. Farragut State Park also offers 9 miles of loop trails. Stop by the Park Headquarters for a park trail map.
- North Idaho Centennial Trail - extends from the Washington/Idaho border to Higgens Point on Lake Coeur d'Alene. This is a 24-mile long multi use recreational scenic trail with numerous rest areas, scenic overlooks and interpretive signs. It is one of the most beautiful trail systems anywhere.
- Find Your Thrill On Tubbs Hill: Right in the center of downtown Coeur d'Alene, on 135 acres of property owned by the city, you will find 2.2 miles of trails to hike year round. Any time of day is the right time to take this hike. The trailhead is well marked and is located by the Third Street Boat Launch in downtown Coeur d'Alene. The parking area is free for the 1st 2 hours and 1.00 each hour thereafter.
- Mineral Ridge: This is the first BLM Recreation site in Idaho and also the location of the Mineral Ridge National Recreation Trail. Located 10 miles East of Coeur d’Alene at the East end of Lake Coeur d’Alene. Built in 1963, it provides an invigorating hike, with beautiful views of the Lake.
- Geocache: If you like the outdoors, add in some technology, resulting in an activity that’s fun and free, then you are going to like Geocaching, it’s like your own personal scavenger hunt.
Getting "Hooked on Books" Geocache is easy, once you begin a good one, it's hard to put it down! Geocache number: GC24GOTNorth 47degrees41.227 West 116degrees52.714
Boating in Coeur d'Alene Idaho
- Kayak on Lake Coeur d'Alene - A water adventure awaits you. Three hour guided tours are available that include basic instruction, equipment and transportation to and from the put-ins. Seven days a week, May through September.
- F and L Yacht Cruises - Enjoy lunch or dinner cruises on Lake Coeur d’Alene aboard the yacht "Anything Goes." This lovely adults-only ship features 2 staterooms and a large sunning deck. All types of exciting or relaxing cruises are available, just call 866-891-9107 for your reservation.
- Lake Coeur d' Alene Cruises - You may rather leave the driving to someone else, and explore one of the world's most beautiful lakes aboard the fun fleet. Choose from dinner buffets or special year round cruises. Phone 208-651-2191 for more information.
- The West Coast River Queen - offers daily summer cruises of the Spokane River and Lake Coeur d' Alene aboard a 100 passenger Mississippi sternwheeler. Tickets are available at Red Lion Templin's Hotel on the River. Order your tickets online at ticketswest.com or call 208-773-1611 ext. 505 for more information. The boat docks for the River Queen or the CDA cruises are about a 15 minute drive from our front door.
- Brooks Seaplane Service - will provide you with breathtaking excitement as you fly over beautiful Northern Idaho taking off from the Lake. 208-664-2842
- Jet Ski Rental in Coeur d'Alene - Available from Vacation Sports Rental on 7th and Sherman 208-665-0686
Adventure in Coeur d'Alene Idaho
- Horseback Riding at Rider Ranch, just 15 minutes from downtown CDA. S. 4199 Wolf Lodge Road 208-667-3373 The horses are gentle and the ranch is an actual working ranch.
- Hot Air Balloon Rides The anticipation begins as the hot air balloon rises into the Coeur d’Alene sky while you enjoy the experience with friends or celebrate a special event with family. Call for details 1-800-279-3861.
- Birding in Coeur d’Alene: Watch birds of Idaho from hummingbirds to the great cranes and migratory birds in their natural environments. Amateurs and veterans alike talk about the fun and best of times while birding in the Lake Coeur d’Alene area.