Wineries and Breweries in Coeur d'Alene
Wine and romance go hand in hand. So our guests often find that wine tasting adds a nice touch to their stay with us. Though no grapes are grown in North Idaho, it's just a day's drive to Idaho wine country near Caldwell. It's also a short drive to our Coeur d'Alene winery and the wineries in Spokane, or some of the region's finest wine areas in eastern Washington, such as Walla Walla and Tri-Cities. Visit Wines Northwest
for more information.
The North Idaho area boasts a couple of wineries:
- Coeur d'Alene Cellars - located at 3890 N. Schrieber Way, CDA (208-664-2336). Coeur d'Alene Cellars showcases its premium wine selections in the Barrel Room # 6. Hosting live music weekly (mostly Saturdays), featuring summer concerts and a new outdoor patio with a built-in stage. We do tastings daily except Sunday and Monday, & open at noon! This wine bar offers cuisine tastings, gift ideas, gourmet baskets, as well as wine to go and delicious culinary fare.
- Pend d'Oreille Winery - at 220 Cedar St. in Sandpoint. Their 2003 Syrah, Columbia Valley, won a double gold medal at the tri-cities wine festival, one of the most prestigious wine competitions in the region. The winery is about 46 miles to the North of CDA.
The Inland Northwest Wineries of Spokane host a holiday wine fest in November and spring barrel tasting in May. Most of the wineries and tasting rooms are located off interstate 90 between Coeur d'Alene and Highway 2 in Spokane:
Other Northwest Wine Information
Tasting the local brews has become another popular activity when visiting our area. Check out the following award winning pubs and tasting rooms for a refreshing micro brew, some made with local malt and barley when available. A few include family restaurants serving lunch and dinner too!
- Trickster's Brewing Company on 3850 N. Schreiber Way, between Hwy 95 and Ramsey Road off Kathleen Ave. Creators of iconic brews like Cougar Bay Blonde, Bear Trap Brown or Coyote Morning IPA. They have a variety of seasonal brews as well, and don't miss Inspector Stonewall's Amber Ale. Just opened in 2013 is and outdoor beer garden for your enjoyment on Thursday through Saturday.
- Slate Creek Brewing Company located at 1710 N. 4th Street Suite 115 in Coeur d'Alene is owned by 2 brothers, Jason and Ryan Wing. Tasting Room hours are Thursday through Saturday from 2-10pm. Perhaps the most distinctive offering they serve is the Norse Nectar, a juniper pale ale. You might choose to try the toasty and nutty Salmon Run Red, or the Harper's Stout.
Two more newer breweries in Post Falls, our nearest neighbor, just about 7 miles from our front door via the shortcut.
- BiPlane Brewing Company opened in 2011. Located at 4082 E. Primose Lane in Post Falls. The hand-crafted ales they serve were all named after vintage aircraft. Check out the Gloster Gladiator, the BiPlane Pusher, and the Rumbler Red.
- Selkirk Abbey was established in 2012. Located at 6180 E. Seltice Way in Post Falls and open from 3-7 pm M-Th and 1-8pm Friday and Saturday. The Belgian influenced brews they serve range from the spicy Saison to the rich and malty Trappist.
Not too far from Coeur d'Alene are 5 more that you won't want to miss:
- MickDuffs in Sandpoint (about 45 minutes to the North, is more than a brewery. You can enjoy the great brews while having a delicious meal in the family friendly restaurant! Established in 2006 by two Irish brothers, Mickey and Duffy. They serve a variety of great brews from North Idaho Pale Ale to a Huckleberry Blonde mixed with locally made Huckleberry puree.
- Laughing Dog say their brews are "Fetchingly Good!" Located in Ponderay (just a wee bit North of Sandpoint) at 1109 Fontaine Drive. They have been in business since 2005 and brewed over 15 beers. And yes...they do have a dog...Ben! The brewery features a tap room, daily tours and a gift shop.
- Wallace Brewing Co. located at 610 Bank Street in Wallace, Idaho, just about 45 minutes to the East of us. Our guests say the brews have names that took inspiration from the local mines & miners in the area as well as the former bordellos....Dirty Blonde Pale Ale and Vindicator IPA.
- North Idaho Mountain Brewery in the City Limits Pub & Grill which opened in 2011. Located at 108 Nine Mile Road in Wallace.
- Kootenai River Brewing Company & Restaurant Located at 6424 Riverside and 1st Street in downtown Bonners Ferry. This family friendly establishment overlooks the Kootenai River and is open daily from 11-10pm. They serve beer as well as wine from the Naumann Vineyards, a small family estate winery in the Santa Cruz mountains of CA. Try their American Pilsner, one of 5 always on tap, and check out their beer cheese soup.